Virtual Box vs. VmWare Server

Joey Prestia joey at linuxamd.com
Sat Mar 15 20:47:56 MST 2008

Nathan wrote:
> How many of you have used both vmware and virtual box? I have downloaded
> virtualbox and I've installed it, but I use vmware a lot. Before I spend too
> much time playing with it, I wanted your opinions. Vmware can be a hastle
> sometimes as I keep my kernel up to date with the releases... But virtualbox
> doesn't seem to have those problems.
>
> I don't use the USB stuff, as most transfers are done through the host-only
> network.
>
> So what say you? is it any good?

I use virtualbox and like it quite a lot it is different in that copying
a vm has to be done from the command line to work correctly. But I find
it valuable in working with experimental projects before they get moved
to a server and use it as a testing ground. I have not used the advanced
features but plan on it. I dont like the USB functions and have found
that they will sometimes make files on a usb vboxusers owned and
vboxusers group even if they belonged to me prior to mounting in a vm so
i use cdroms or dvd or scp to move files in and out I have sucessfully
networked them numerous times although it has a habit of assigning
10.0.2.15 to everything getting a dhcp address so the ips must be hard
set. I do installs in vms via kickstart with RHEL 5 and it works great.
I am very impressed with this program.

--
Joey Prestia
L. G. Mirror Coordinator