Kernel Compilation

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Mar 15 12:21:09 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Nathan wrote:
> Is there a specific command to run that automatically selects EVERYTHING in
> the kernel to be compiled as a module then creates a .config file or
> anything similar?  Instead of always running through make menuconfig and
> selecting everything, is there something like make allmodules config  ?

Not that I know of.  The closest thing is copying your old .config file to the
new kernel directory and doing "make oldconfig".  This will ask you questions
about new options that have been added and will take your old defaults for
the options that are the same.

> I try to keep my kernel up to date on my live disc, but I'm always running
> through the modules again, and I'm looking for a way to save some time.

I don't know why you'd want to build *everything* as a module, actually.  That
takes a long time, and you have to build an initrd (yuck) which is not useful
unless you don't know what hardware you're going to be running your kernel
on.  You could probably hack the scripts that oldconfig runs so that they'd
default to "M" instead of Y or N, but there are a few things that can't be
build as modules.  What then?  Oh well, HTH anyway,

--
   If you're looking for trouble, I can offer you a wide selection.
  My blog and resume: http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/