Need some SMTP troubleshooting help - Please!.

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Thu Mar 13 09:38:40 MST 2008

There is also this:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/postmaster-26.html

    553 Mail from x.x.x.x not allowed

Open proxies <http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/fall2002/openproxy.html> and
open relays <http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_sec3rdparty.html> are a very
common source of spam. Yahoo! uses a variety of techniques to detect
these, and Yahoo! does not accept SMTP connections from either open
relays or open proxies. Your connection may be rejected because the
email server that you use for sending email is probably an "open relay"
or "open proxy." These types of email servers can easily be tricked into
sending large amounts of unsolicited email.

Many email services refuse mail from such servers, until the server has
been fixed to stop relaying spam to innocent users.

To correct this problem, you should contact the system administrator of
your mail server (usually "postmaster at your-domain.com") and forward them
a copy of the bounced email you received. Otherwise, you should call
technical support and alert them of the problem.

You can check <http://www.robtex.com/rbls.html> to see if your mail
server is listed on several of the public open relay DNSBLs. Please note
that if your server is not listed at this link, it may still be an open
proxy or open relay. Abuse.net provides a web-based open relay test
<http://www.abuse.net/relay.html>. Instructions to close open relays are
readily available on the Internet.

Testing triggers

To determine whether an IP address is an open relay or open proxy, a
series of tests need to be performed on that IP address. Yahoo! actively
performs tests for open relays and open proxies but only after that IP
address has been identified as a source of significant suspicious
inbound traffic to the Yahoo! network. In other words Yahoo! only makes
reactive tests triggered on inbound traffic from that IP address, and
pro-active tests are never performed by Yahoo!.

Minimal impact

Yahoo! strives to ensure that any testing performed as a consequence of
the inbound traffic triggers have the least impact possible on the
tested address.

Retest policy

Once an IP address has been tested, no further tests are performed for
at least three days regardless of the outcome of the tests.

Actions based on test results

If an IP address is determined to be an open relay or open proxy, Yahoo!
reserves the right to reject all SMTP traffic from that IP address for a
minimum period of 60 days.

Source address of tests

All tests run by Yahoo! are run on readily identifiable servers that
have forward and reverse DNS entries ending in yahoo.com. Any email
addresses and servers used as part of the testing likewise are always
identified with yahoo.com DNS entries or yahoo.com email addresses.

How to remove your server

You should check (and secure) your server for open relays (such as
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html) and open proxies (such as
http://www.unicom.com/sw/pxytest/ -- these may require installing
software on servers outside your network for proper testing). After you
are reasonably sure your network is secure, please submit your IP
addresses to Yahoo! for retesting
<http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/defer.html>.

-Charles