hardware questions, Ubuntu and Dell

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Mar 10 13:47:26 MST 2008

Am 10. Mar, 2008 schwätzte Ted Gould so:

> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 18:34 -0700, der.hans wrote:
>> So, I wandered over to the Dell website and search for both Linux and Ubuntu.
> <snip>
>> Any recommendations on the Dell offering or from a company that actually
>> offers Ubuntu?
>>
>> Yeah, I won't be keeping their install, but I will back it up for
>> reference should something not work on my install. It would also be nice
>> to have a decent shot of actually getting support for Ubuntu.
>
> Besides the fact that I work for one of the companies involved here, I'd
> really recommend getting a Ubuntu machine from Dell.  Not because I love
> the hardware, but because Dell is big enough to push around chip
> vendors.  If Dell sees "this Ubuntu thing" as a growing market they'll
> tell their vendors that, and nothing makes sales guy at a chip vendor's
> eyes light up like "Dell thinks it's important." :)

That's the reason I'm considering Dell. Dell should be able to push for
Free Software drivers for all of the hardware and I want to support that.

I just tried looking for Ubuntu on the Dell web site and it pulled up the
correct link. When I try the search again after first choosing the Small &
Medium Business branch it goes to the page I linked earlier that doesn't
have and Ubuntu boxen despite being called "Introducing open source Dell
N-Series PCs with Ubuntu and FreeDOS" according to the search results.
Maybe that should get adjusted :).

I think all those machines were also using nvidia cards, which requires
binary blobs. For desktops, and especially laptops, I want to get an ATI
cards, even if I still have to wait a little for a Free Software driver.

OK, the AMD box can be purchase with an ATI card. Some of the others have
integrated Intel video cards, so that's also good for Free Software.

Looks like the Ubuntu laptops come with onboard intel video cards.

Looks like X.org 7.4 got bumped back a couple months :(. Guess that means
it won't make Hardy :(.

I look forward to ever increasing support for Ubuntu from Dell.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
#    -- Albert Einstein