(REDONE) Networking Mages - HERE is a challenge READ THIS ONE FOLKS

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 9 09:16:57 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 21:33 -0700, Wayne Davis wrote:
>   Subject: odd problem with a established PPTP VPN connecting a
> portable using a SPRINT 595U aircard to my home network.
>
> OS's, Equipment, and configurations:
>
> On My Home Network Side:
>  a M0n0wall APPLIANCE using a Wrap 2e board running the LATEST
> firmware update.
>  It has a built-in PPTP VPN server that is enabled and allowing a
> authenticated user to pass ANY protocols to ANY LAN subnet on my
> network.
>
> I can successfully ping in both directions.
> I can see shares normally from within my network
>

> On The Portable:
> Windows XP Home,
> A dial-up connectoid to connect to the internet running PPP and
> TCP/IP, File & Print Share, Client For MS networks for protocols - NO
> LOCAL FIREWALLS This connectoid performs flawlessly to the I-net.
>
> A second connectoid to connect to the VPN running PPTP VPN and TCP/IP,
> File & Print Share, Client For MS networks for protocols - NO LOCAL
> FIREWALLS.
>
> These connectoids WORK in as much as:
> A.  I CAN browse the web pages served from devices on my home network
> B.  I can FTP to any of my FTP enabled devices on my home network.
> C.  I am able to ping to machines within my home network.
> D.  I CAN click on: "My Network Places"-"Entire Network"-"Microsoft
> Windows Network"
>      and see my workgroup name which is NOT "workgroup".
>
> HOWEVER, IF I click that workgroup name, expecting to see a list of
> machines that have MS shares on them. I get a long pause, then a error
> message: " XXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission...."
>
> If I simply disconnect the Sprint thing, and connect the portable via
> the LAN jack using the SAME protocols.  I SEE what I expect to see.
>

> WHAT is wrong?   I have spent (No joke) at LEAST 70 hours trying to
> figure out HOW to setup this thing and this weird problem.  A 2 hour
> call to Sprint 's level 2 support and ultimately their subject matter
> expert  ultimately got this reply: " We Don't know"   Which, was a
> honest answer from them, and WAYYYYY beyond their normal scope.
>
> Thank you all.
----
It almost sounds like a problem with the MTU on your VPN connection. It
seems that you are trying to use a Linux list to solve your Windows
issues.

You probably are going to have to work with MonoWall people on this as
they are probably more likely to be helpful with issues relating to
their PPTP implementation.

Craig