rhce difficulty / focus

Joey Prestia joey at linuxamd.com
Sun Mar 9 09:03:53 MST 2008

Randy Melder wrote:
> Wondering if anyone in the list has taken the RHCE exam in the last two years?
>
> What did it cover? What surprises were there?
>
> Also, did you use the book "RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux
> Study Guide (Exam RH302) (Certification Press)" to prepare? How would
> you rate it?
>
> Thanks!

Randy,

I have not taken the test, but I got to the RedHat Academy at Estrella
Mountain Community College and Know this they make you sign a non
disclosure agreement when you take the test so that you cannot talk
about the test or they will take your certification. Which I can
understand. It especially here at the academy, really bothers a lot of
the students the material is well covered in the RHCE study guide by
Michael Jang but just reading it of course does not mean you will pass
the test. I in preparation have found only that one book particularly
helpful. Even the Practical Guide to RedHat Linux by Mark Sobell I find
lacking in that it does not go over a lot of stuff like setting up disk
quotas which I believe you need to know. The material on the test is
plainly listed at  https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/prep_guide/
I feel as having read the RHCE study guide it is the closest incite in
to what the test covers and has enough differences that if your used to
another distro you may have quite a few problems where as a RedHat
student will already have embedded in their mind the correct redhat
supplied tool for the job.

--
Joey