(REDONE) Networking Mages - HERE is a challenge READ THIS ONE FOLKS

Wayne Davis waydavis at cox.net
Sat Mar 8 21:33:48 MST 2008

  Subject: odd problem with a *established* PPTP VPN connecting a
portable using a SPRINT 595U aircard to my home network.

OS's, Equipment, and configurations:

*On My Home Network Side:*
 a M0n0wall APPLIANCE using a Wrap 2e board running the LATEST firmware
update.
 It has a built-in PPTP VPN server that is enabled and allowing a
authenticated user to pass ANY protocols to ANY LAN subnet on my network.

I can successfully ping in both directions.
I can see shares normally from within my network

*On The Portable:*
Windows XP Home,
A dial-up connectoid to connect to the internet running PPP and TCP/IP,
File & Print Share, Client For MS networks for protocols - NO LOCAL
FIREWALLS _This connectoid performs flawlessly to the I-net._

A second connectoid to connect to the VPN running PPTP VPN and TCP/IP,
File & Print Share, Client For MS networks for protocols - NO LOCAL
FIREWALLS.

These connectoids _WORK_ in as much as:
A.  I CAN browse the web pages served from devices on my home network
B.  I can FTP to any of my FTP enabled devices on my home network.
C.  I am able to ping to machines within my home network.
_D.  I CAN_ click on: "My Network Places"-"Entire Network"-"Microsoft
Windows Network"
     and see my workgroup name which is NOT "workgroup".

HOWEVER, IF I click that workgroup name, expecting to see a list of
machines that have MS shares on them. I get a long pause, then a error
message: " XXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission...."

If I simply disconnect the Sprint thing, and connect the portable via
the LAN jack using the SAME protocols.  I SEE what I expect to see.

*/WHAT is wrong? /*  I have spent (No joke) at LEAST 70 hours trying to
figure out HOW to setup this thing and this weird problem.  A 2 hour
call to Sprint 's level 2 support and ultimately their subject matter
expert  ultimately got this reply: " We Don't know"   Which, was a
honest answer from them, and WAYYYYY beyond their normal scope.

Thank you all.