802.11N cards for Linux?

Scott gneamob at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 14:26:29 MST 2008

Looking on the Ubuntu forums, it looks like someone
was having some configuration issues, but they were
able to get their N setup to work just fine.  The link
is here:

and the link to the PCI card that's being used is
here:

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pl1_id=1&pl2_id=44&pl3_id=126&pd_id=225

The bonus?  This Edimax card is fully supported by
linux, they even post the source code directly on
their website.  They also have a USB card with the
linux source as well.

Belkin seems to have some mixed reviews as far as
their N-series goes, with people having to uninstall
the restricted driver and compile the latest madwifi
out of cvs/svn:

LWN.net has an article from a few months ago that
points to some other information:

http://lwn.net/Articles/258591/

LinuxANT appears to have a plethora of changelog
messages that indicate support for the newer Marvell,
Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link and Asus USB
adapters:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/changes.php

According to linuxdevices.com, Broadcom was the first
to support linux:

As far as vendors go, I've been away from Fry's for
longer than I'd prefer (*sniff!*), so if you're
interested in an online-based solution, PC Bay has the
Edimax PCI cards on sale right now:

http://www.pcbay.net/80wiad.html

-Scott