****Re: PDFTK and such . . ..

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 7 05:53:18 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 21:42 -0700, cary mabe wrote:
> what I am really looking for is not the functionality of just the
> reader, I want to be able to fill the forms and save the form and data
> together as a new document.  I have the need to be able to use the
> underlying form on a daily basis and I would like to keep the new data
> as a separate entity  (pdf file, for example) for future use .  I
> guess I'm looking for a linux replacement for acrobat, not just the
> reader.
----
command line pdftk can separate and combine pdf/fdf and when separated,
you can use a text editor on the separate fdf file.

there also is a program called pdfedit but that isn't of much use for
this.

there is no open source replacement for the full Acrobat or Acrobat
Professional product however.

There is a very excellent book (and rather inexpensive) called 'PDF
Hacks' by Sid Stewart which I highly recommend...and you can go to his
web site http://www.accesspdf.com/

Craig