Vista and Linux

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Thu Mar 6 21:55:14 MST 2008

Jim,

1st>> Create restore disks from the windows Start menu. I am quite certain your computer did not come with restore cd/dvd's. If it did ignore this  part. Once the restore partition is wiped out you need to request disks from compaq, that can take up to 6 weeks.

2nd>> Make sure the cd's/dvd boots computer!!

3rd>>Boot with linux disk or another utility and shrink the ntfs partition. If you use the correct utility, it will move all of the windows data to the new partition for you with out defrag.

4th>> keep the ntfs partition, do  not remove/change the restore partition (should be around 1.5GB. Create new partitions for linux in new empty space. I am preety sure you can do extended partitions, not logical.

5th>> allow linux to install, choose GRUB boot loader, then try both installs for boot.

Mike
---- Jim <farli at deru.com> wrote:
> I just got a Compac Presario with Vista on it.  Does anyone have any
> hints on making it a dual boot machine by adding Mandriva 2007 and/or
> Unbutu 7.04?
>
> Tia
>
> Jim

Please visit