Anti-virus for Linux - is it time? Will it ever be?

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:14:26 MST 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, jordi laforge wrote:
> I'm my 8 years of using Linux I've not once had a box infected with any
> kind of Malware. I've only read that there are some 40 viruses for linux,
> and most of those are "proof of concept". My place of employment is
> considering buying virus scanning software from a popular anti-virus
> software company. I'm wondering what the Plug list thinks? Is it time to
> start thinking about this? Is anyone running anti-virus software on their
> boxens?
> Thanks.

you've been lucky then.

I have seen (in my time) 3 actual virii (none of which did any real damage as
they weren't run as root) and 1 rootkit (that was an externale exploit).

one should always consider this: it doesn't matter how good the OS is,
security is still dependent upon the user. *if* the user is not security
conscious, then the system he/she is using is at risk, regardless of how well
it was designed.