trying to script a command line

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Mar 4 15:38:58 MST 2008

I have an awkward situation with pdftk

I have a file with filenames that I want to pass to pdftk as input
files.

according to the man page...
<input PDF files | - | PROMPT>
  A list of the input PDF files. If you plan to combine these PDFs
  (without using handles) then list files in the  order  you  want
  them combined.  Use - to pass a single PDF into pdftk via stdin.

and thus, this doesn't work...

pdftk `cat "/mypath/to/I-A-files.txt"` cat output I-A.pdf verbose

fails on spaces within the paths/filenames in that file.

I have tried both escaping the spaces with \ and enclosing each path
within a double quote but neither works.

I have also tried (which fails)...

$ cat "/mypath/to/I-A-files.txt" | pdftk - cat output I-A.pdf verbose
Error: Failed to open PDF file:
   -
Errors encountered.  No output created.
Done.  Input errors, so no output created.
sh-3.2$ ls -l
total 4440
-rw-r--r-- 1 craig administrative      10 2008-03-04 15:15 doc_toc.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 craig administrative    1898 2008-03-04 15:30 I-A-files.txt

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks

Craig