Asterisk (geek girl)

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Tue Mar 4 08:25:08 MST 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 20:33 -0700, tjones at fastq.com wrote:
>
>> Quoting Geek Girl <geekgirl28 at cox.net>:
>>

> --
> I would imagine that an Asterisk Users Group would generate a
> substantial amount of interest and I hope that if this happens, someone
> will post up info on meetings on the list.
> ----
>

>> The phone home fiasco wasn't the worst of it, they had a mechanism that would
>> have allowed Fonality to download files and/or run arbitrary commands as root.
>> Despite reassurances and disclaimers from Fonality in their public forums, I
>> downloaded PBX in a Flash the same night I read that thread, and I'm not going back.
>>
>> If anyone cares, unlikely as that is, the thread starts here:
>> http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/trixbox-phones-home
>>
>> The ironic thing was, I was only reading the forums after a Trixbox update broke
>> my config.
>>
> ----
> that was really, really bad. I found that this comment from Kerry
> Garrison, Trixbox Community Director to be most disappointing in that he
> found it so easy to justify...
>
> "This is getting far off the mark here. We are going to fix this so that
> it is easy to opt out of the program. If everyone opts out, we have no
> data, if we have no data, then we lose the financial support of our
> partners. If we lose the finanicial support of our partners, I lose my
> funding, if I lose my funding, I lose my team. If I lose my team we have
> no development on CE."
>
> This type of thinking flies in the face of the open source community. If
> the corporate partners commitment to open source lies only as far as
> they are able to glean information from their users then you have to
> figure their commitment isn't very substantial at all.
>
> Craig

For me it was when 'Trixbox Pro' came out that signaled it was time to
move on to something else.
It was a sign that their vision didn't jibe with my needs; hosting
things on their server it just felt wrong.
I couldn't see why anyone would want to have a significant chunk of
their pbx hosted somewhere on the internet - bad idea!
I could see hosting the entire server on the internet as a service but
not part of it.

I agree with your assessment of Kerry's statements.
Kerry was a pretty respected guy in the Asterisk community.  Now I'm not
so sure.
The big problem with TB is that it pretends to be an open source project.
Sure the source code is available but few people have the ability to
contribute to the project.
I hope other companies learn from Fonality's blunders; it really could
have been win-win for them.

Im optimistic about PBX in a flash so far.

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
email: jd at twingeckos.com