Debian Question

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Mar 3 09:26:52 MST 2008

From: Mike Bydalek <mbydalek at compunetconsulting.com>

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Basic?action=show&redirect=HowToBuildDebianPackagesFromScratch

> and http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/index.en.html
>
> * Download the latest tarball
> * Apply the patches from either Debian or Ubuntu (usually I do Ubuntu
> but you can try the Debian ones since you're concerned about stability,
> etc.)
> * run dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> * Check for errors, etc.

One caveat with the latest GNUcash:  IIRC, it required a bunch of newer
GTK+/GNOME packages.  At least building GNUcash 2.2.3 on Gentoo had a
lot of dependencies.  And you're going to have to install a large number
of *dev packages to build it from source.  Also, I haven't seen any real
functional improvements in going from GNUcash 2.0.n to 2.2.3.  Then
again, I'm not using the more complicated things that it can do.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/