Suse Linux 10.3 help requested

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Mar 1 12:27:46 MST 2008

From: Frank Mandato <fgm1147 at hotmail.com>
> Unfortunately, I am not good enough to install Gentoo, tried it
> a few years ago and I never could get it to work right, not their
> fault, my not knowing enough about Linux was at fault.

Things have improved a little bit.  It should be "Read the Gentoo
Handbook, follow steps 1..100, done!" but manually creating
partitions and filesystems may faze people.  But there's always
Ubuntu and kUbuntu.

> I have installed this system and I am running it as an X86_64,

OK, this actually shouldn't cause any problems with the things that
you reported.  The evil nvidia module worked fine with x86_64 when
I was running that.

>   Driver       "nv"
> I have re-installed 10.3 and that is why I do not have the
> downloaded Nvidia driver on it any longer.

In general, reinstalling a distro won't fix anything.  There are a
few exceptions, but I don't think the problems you described fall
into those categories.  So:  Get the binary module again and
install it, then modprobe nvidia, then edit xorg.conf, then
restart X and see if it all works.  You may have to do the SuSE
equivalent of "eselect opengl set nvidia" so that you can get
accelerated 3D junk working.

> 03:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
>
> When I go in to Yast to configure that sound card, it says "legacy"
> so I thought that this is a legacy sound card.

"Audigy LS" is not mentioned in the source for emu10k1 in a 2.6.24.1
kernel.  YaST has always had problems.  What might work is this:
"modprobe snd_emu10k1", then start alsamixer (or amixer) and see if
you get anything other than "mixer not found, barfing."  If you
get a mixer, you should just have to unmute everything.  If not,
it's time to look in dmesg for problems.  The worst-case scenario is
that the card isn't supported by whatever kernel they shipped, and
you'll have to upgrade to a more recent kernel.

HTH anyway,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/