OT: Survelliance in America

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 28 21:57:54 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 21:26 -0700, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> But the big issue for PLUG members, in FISA (and legislation of it's
> type) is the new overly expensive required fiscal reporting for EBay
> and others for "economic reasons"?
>
> Co-located Ecommerce will simply be moved out of country in the world
> economy of the internet?
>
> This has the potential to impact our careers in a very big way, does
> it not?
>
> Unless you want to move to a cheaper, less ethically warlike, foreign
> country to work?
>
> Will we all be communicating (via webcam/email) from Canada, Italy,
> Spain, India or Indonesia in 3 years?
----
perhaps a sleeper issue that escaped me.

FISA itself is purported to be a timely and technological update of the
original 1978 FISA legislation that was driven by the excesses of the
Nixon administration and predecessors including the absurd things done
by the CIA and the FBI preceding the legislation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISA_Amendments_Act_of_2008

The government has already provided economic incentives for corporations
to move off-shore which many have done but I think you're sort of
getting off-track of the FISA legislation itself.

Craig