which ATI card?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Jun 25 00:05:09 MST 2008

Am 24. Jun, 2008 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

> Last I checked Compiz doesn't play well with dual monitors, so you may have to give up that particular requirement.

Last I checked Hardy sucks for dual-head setups in general :(. I figure
compiz is out for a while, but that's about as high end as I get for
graphics. Well, my wife wants to use the GL flight simulator and I like
zooming around in the various space simulators.

> After that, any of the newer ATI Radeon HD cards should work well, although the very newest doesn't have specs released just yet.  They'll all have HD video out with Free driver support when the Free driver developers get around to implementing the hardware decode circuitry support, the latest (3800 series) cards have built-in hardware decode called "UVD".  Video out is not high priority right now, though, so Free driver support may take a little while.  Pick a card (prefer direct from AMD, IMO) with at least 1 port for video out (the AMD cards all have multiple) to make sure you can use that support when it becomes available.

Yeah, the specs aren't all there, but I keep seeing rumors of progress.

Newegg doesn't have AMD/ATI brand cards. Maybe I'll get the ASUS card
since they're doing so much to support GNU/Linux.

> Your board is a nForce 500 SLI MB, so it has 2 PCI-Express x16 slots and 2 x1 slots (between the x16 slots).  You should buy a PCI-x card, if you buy 2 SLI cards you can gang them together to act like one big dual-GPU card (some of the new cards, like the 3870, do this internally on one card), although I'm not sure if the drivers (binary or Free) support that yet.

Good that I have PCI-Express x16 as that's what all the cards are :).

Someone build a quad-GPU card of some sort. That'd burn my house down. I
think a single-GPU card will be more than overkill for my needs.

It looks like the all have dual-DVI outputs. The ASUS card has HDMI via an
adaptor as well as HDTV ans S-Video out. The VisionTek also has composite
out.

> P.S.
> Your browser thinks the page is a gif because it ends in .gif and the server doesn't set the content type header (so few people really understand HTTP, /lament/)

The browser renders it as a page just fine, I was just surprised that the
URL appears to be for an image :).

Thanks for the info.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/              https://LOPSA.org/
#  "The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that