which ATI card?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Jun 24 22:50:03 MST 2008

moin moin,

As I posted last week, ATI's new cards are releasing with X drivers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1

This won't satisfy some of us as they're binary blobs, but the Free
Software drivers can be used as well.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_rv770_oss&num=1

Now they're available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=HD+4850&cm_sp=HomepageSL-_-AMD4000-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2famd%2f4000%2f270x120.gif

Hmm, why does it think that page is a gif?

Anyway, I'm buying a couple of SDHC cards, so figured I'd pick up a new
video card as well. I no longer know squat about video cards, so I don't
know how to rate the available cards.

I don't game, but I do want to have good compiz and video playback. I have
a dual-head setup with 22" wide monitors as well.

I would like something that will run cool at low power. That probably
means I should completely ignore this line :).

Video out would be cool. HD out with Free Software support would be
awesome.

        product: M2N4-SLI
        vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

It's got a bunch of pci slots, but I don't see anything about agp or
pciexpress in lshw.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/              https://LOPSA.org/
#  "Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down