laptop power button advise

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Sat Jun 21 13:06:47 MST 2008

mike havens wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make it so the power button will not turn off
> a lapto? I have a tohiba satellite m-36x . Google was of little help.

If you are using Gnome, the Gnome Power Manager has some options in its
Preferences panel.  The General tab has a 'When the power button is
pressed' item, for which you can select 'Ask Me', 'Suspend',
'Hibernate', or 'Shutdown'.

The power manager is usually in the system tray if it is installed.  On
Ubunutu, you can install it with 'apt-get install gnome-power-manager'.
  I think RPM-based distros have it named something similar.

If you're on KDE, I don't know what your choices are, though I suspect
there's probably something similar.

alex