[OT?] wired article about Thomas / RIAA Case (was: Re: lawyer Ira Schwartz [...] (was: Re: [...] RIAA document))

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Thu Jun 19 13:52:25 MST 2008

(see below for 19-June-2008 comment)

On Sun, Jan 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Mike Schwartz <schwartz at acm.org> wrote:

> On 1/6/08, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 23:10 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> >
> > > That's why I suggested we try to help Howell. I don't support illegally
> > > sharing copyrighted works. I also don't support large corporations
> > > with deep pockets suing people into oblivion. I especially don't
> > > support the big companies if they're using that case to try to cause me
> > > problems. Trying to curtail fair use is definitely something that causes
> > > me problems.
> > ----
> > The issues that we are discussing and were brought to the fore by the
> > various media outlets such as the Washington Post article by Mark Fisher
> > are not the issues that are of specific use to Howell. It is at the very
> > best, an issue to potentially mitigate the damages but he has already
> > conceded the points of the plaintiff.
> >
> > Curiously, plaintiff's claims for a reduced burden of proof came after
> > the simultaneous award for plaintiffs in Capitol vs Thomas and this
> > court request for briefings in preparation for oral arguments...
> >
> > http://www.ilrweb.com/viewILRPDF.asp?filename=atlantic_howell_071003OrderDirectingFurtherBriefingof4Questions
> >
> > and comically, the parties were given a week to submit briefs on the
> > matter and Howell, pro se, probably could have had 4 months and it
> > wouldn't have made a difference.
> >
> > In their supplemental brief for summary judgment, plaintiff makes
> > specific reference to the reduced burden of proof established by Capitol
> > vs Thomas and this specifically relates to fair use.
> >
> > The NPR 'Talk of the Nation' show (which I've been unable to play on
> > Linux...I might have to switch over to Windows to hear it), clearly has
> > Sherman of the RIAA incapable of issuing a blanket statement that it is
> > legal to rip a copy of a CD that you own to your hard drive. RIAA's
> > current position is that they and they alone are the arbiter of what
> > constitutes fair use and while the courts have yet to fully weigh in,
> > it's evident that when you've been selected as their next train wreck,
> > like Howell, the distinction of what constitutes fair use is not going
> > to stop the train that is coming your way at full bore. According to Roy
> > Beckerman, lawyer defending several RIAA targets, this is no accident
> > but rather the deliberate attempt by plaintiff (RIAA) to establish
> > precedent and thereby codify their view of fair use.
> >
> > Craig

> "So far", this has been a very interesting thread.
> I haven't followed (read) "all" of the links to outside interesting web pages,
> but I did check out
>    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=401886&threshold=0&commentsort=5&mode=flat&cid=21859278
> a little bit, and it has a link to
>   http://web.archive.org/web/20070516072606/http://www.riaa.com/issues/ask/default.asp
> which I found very interesting.
>   HOWEVER, the main reason I am writing now, is that I noticed
> [...]

19-June-2008 comment:

I know this is an old thread, and I haven't actually read (all of)
this "Wired" article:
    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/professors-sidi.html
    ("Professors Siding With Jammie Thomas in RIAA Case")
e.g., here is an excerpt from the "Wired" article:
<< "The "making available" issue, combined with whether the RIAA's
downloads can be used to prove distribution, are important questions
of law whose ultimate answers promise to change the course of the
RIAA's litigation machine, with more than 20,000 copyright
infringement lawsuits filed so far." >>
     but I thought that maybe those who had been following this stuff
with interest, might want to read this.
So, click or delete -- it's your choice...
regards,
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ