Anyone need a Sun 6500? Or two...or three?

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 09:55:23 MST 2008

Alexander,

These are not cost effective for a Colo!  They simply take up too much rack space.  You would do better holding a linux kernel bake sale and getting some good 1 u servers.  Power is going to be costly even at say Limelight, if they can even do it.

Depending on the colo, these already have their own free standing racks.

Your dryer power will work, depending on the customization for power these were installed with.  Converters exists, see GreyBar or other online sites.

First things to determine are a) what is the current power coupler on the Behemoth, b) what is your dryer coupler?

alexanderhenry at cox.net wrote:
---- Charles Jones  wrote:
> I don't think they would work as game servers. They are Sun servers,
> they are not x86. even if you could get sparc-linux installed on them,
> no game server binaries would run on them.

I believe that what I had in mind can be compiled to processors other than x86.  I put in the request hastily but not lightly, I do need to research a few things before I decide I want this.  Not the least of which is cost-benefit analysis of keeping it in a co-lo.

BTW, until I get a co-lo, will my laundry power supply work?

(602)325-5325 Asterisk
(503)754-4452 Blackberry
EDVO/CDMA on Dell PII Kubuntu 7.10