Anyone need a Sun 6500? Or two...or three?

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri Jun 13 16:41:25 MST 2008

I don't think they would work as game servers. They are Sun servers,
they are not x86. even if you could get sparc-linux installed on them,
no game server binaries would run on them.

I've been flooded with requests for the servers, mostly for the wrong
reasons, from everything from using them for wireless network testing,
to using them for a "media center", to "just want to play with one".

I think folks aren't realizing exactly what these are...they are
literally 700+lbs cabinets that require 220v power. They will not fit in
the trunk of a car, or an SUV. The actual server component is rack
mounted inside and could be removed or powered seperately via 110v (the
220v is for the cabinet which includes integrated fans etc).

I've been too busy since I posted to give more info, but I will try to
hook them up soon to verify the RAM and CPU specs, as well as post some
pics of them so you know what you are getting into.

These would probably make a good Oracle database server, but its
definitely not something you would want to plug in on your kitchen table
just to play with...well maybe in the winter time, as they do make good
space heaters :)

-Charles

alexanderhenry at cox.net wrote:
> Er...  Put me on the list, if it's still empty enough.  I'm having visions of co-lo'ed game servers.
>

> ---- Charles Jones <charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:
>
>> We have some spare Sun 6500's (basically a 4500/5500 racked in its own
>> cabinet).  If anyone is interested in them, let me know and I will find
>> out the specs.  Hans can probably provide pictures of them. They are in
>> a full Sun cabinet, so don't plan on putting one in the trunk of your car :)
>>
>> -Charles

Charles R. Jones II
Senior Systems Engineer
Cisco Learning Institute IT Dept