OT: Is that a quad-core in your attic? Or...

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Tue Jun 10 10:24:52 MST 2008

Ted Gould wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> So I'm in the position where I'd like to have a little more computing
> power close to me instead of "in the cloud."  But, I really don't want
> to put a computer in my office, I'd prefer to hide it in the "local
> cloud."
>
> It seems like the two issues now become dust and heat.  I'd love to put
> it in the garage or attic, but I'm curious if that's just simply
> impractical.  Has anyone done something like this?  What problems did
> you encounter?

Same here.  I currently have 2 servers plus a 4U disk array in my home
office, and even with a high-velocity blower fan in the hallway throwing
extra air into the office, it is still at least 5 degrees hotter in the
office, even with extra fans in the office itself. This summer I may be
adding a small window AC unit just to make it bearable. I could probably
build a server(s) that could survive the heat of being relocated to my
garage storage room, but the disk array would probably melt down. Hmm
maybe I could take my small 5,000 BTU window AC unit, and sit it
directly in front of the disk array, blowing into it :)