test only - earlier email submit today missing

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 12:43:31 MST 2008

Hi,

To find commands or files, use the following shell tools:

which  sendmail
This will tell you if the command is in your bash PATH (check /etc/profile and $HOME/.bash_profile $HOME/.bashrc or just type "set"

locate sendmail
Locate is an add on tool you can install from your package management application or via up2date, yum or apt-get.  (Locate updates a database index of all files via an adjacent command "updatedb" (usually configured at install in /etc/cron.d).  Locate will whine if updated has not been run for more than a week).

find / -name sendmail
This will run a find - preface it with sudo or from a root shell to get all files in the /root $PATH since you will be limited from seeing all files as a user.

sendmail is almost always in /usr/sbin/sendmail or /lib/sendmail

You are probably not going to be able to read the output of sendmail -d.

You can, with root/sudo access, spoof the "from address" if your SMTP application (postfix, exim or sendmail) is setup correctly.

SMTP MTA and mail delivery Mail applications setup and troubleshooting is a long subject.  The PLUG should have some mail workshops, spam content presentations & go through all the materials and troubleshooting specific to linux one of these days.

$ sendmail -f georgebush at whitehouse.gov  hillary_clinton at democratic.com

When you invoke any sendmail command from a shell prompt, you generally get a open I/O wait.  Here your command will appear to hang, but it is actually waiting for standard input.  Type the body of the message followed by two "."s.

$ tail /var/log/maillog

$ ls /var/log

Your mail logs might be setup differently - look in the systems log directory for specifics.

You can also request a receipt for various mail types?

$ sendmail -f josef at actionline.com plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
<waits for standard input>  Enter "testing 01 01 01" then hit "." twice on two new lines.

$ tail /var/log/maillog

josef lowder <Josef at Actionline.com> wrote: Thanks Lisa ...

 I tried this:
 $ sendmail -f joe at actionline.com $plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us

 And got this response:
 bash: sendmail: command not found

Joe

On 6/3/08, Lisa Kachold <l_iesa at yahoo.com> wrote: Did you subscribe as joe at actionline.com to the list?

If you have a unix/linux box with command line (sudo to send in secure mail installations) [and a properly configured /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and DNS MX record]  you can do a:

sendmail -f joe at actionline.com $emailaddressorpluglist

That will spoof the sender.

sendmail -d $emailaddressorpluglist

Will do a debug session to see if the envelope was dropped.

Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote: .
An email message I sent to plug from my new gmail account
about 45 minutes ago has not yet shown up so this is a test
from my previous email account to see if there is some problem.

(602)325-5325 Asterisk
(503)754-4452 Blackberry
EDVO/CDMA on Dell PII Kubuntu 7.10