DD-WRT and Cox-- any warnings?

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 06:56:39 MST 2008

Yes, it's easy to copy MAC addresses.

Also,  you should be able to social engineer the access steps to "maintain" your own "modem".

Dan Lund <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote: You'll probably have to deal with cloning the current mac on the WAN port.
I had to with my Belkin, since Cox seems to be doing some twisted form
of MAC checks.

I'm not saying in all cases it does that since I'm not everywhere and
dealing with every customer since I'm just one customer.  However,
I've been a customer of Cox for like 7-8 years and have never had this
problem until 1 year 1/2 ago when I connected in a new house I
purchased.  I just dealt with them by initiating a connection with a
laptop while talking to the nasty tech on the line.  After that, I
just cloned the mac of the nic from that laptop on the Belkin I was
going to use.  After that, all fine.
I know I've spouted about this before, so I'm just throwing this out
again in this situation to inform you :)

--Dan

--
Thanks,
Dan Lund