Cox Internet disconnectivity..

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 17:54:54 MST 2008

Cox used to allow non-authorative DNS queries, and I got some obviously poisoned (phishing) cache data.

I believe Cox, unlike Qwest, allows you to query via port 53 THROUGH their network, so I would use some of the public (less obviously insecure, and unstable) DNS servers?

Google public DNS servers for more information.

Heck, you can even get a dyndns.org account and application that will automatically update; they offer automatic domain updates so you can run a website from your house on port 8080 (they filter port 80 down) and have URL cloaking so yourdomain.com runs out of your house!

Netgear and LinkSys (now Cisco) "routers" often have dyndns.org configurations (or you can use OpenWRT <just kidding>)?

Jason Spatafore <jasons at spatafore.net> wrote: Well, on my side of the house, Cox is moving like 3x faster than it was.
So, the upgrade may have been worth it. There's still a slight delay for
DNS lookup, but actually site loading is flying by now. It was bad for
awhile. Now it's much better.

So, kudos to Cox for updating the routing.

Of course, my opinion may vary should it go bad again.

(602)325-5325 Asterisk
(503)754-4452 Blackberry
EDVO/CDMA on Dell PII Kubuntu 7.10