Monitor specific, unrelated processes in top? (and more!)

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 31 14:13:53 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Patrick C wrote:
> So back to the thread title, how can I monitor the various processes? I
> currently use ps and grep to look at them, but I'd really rather have some
> more information in a self-updating list, like top.

top -p `pidof wesnothd tremded somethingelse | sed -e 's/ /,/g' ` ?  That'll
work if the names of things you want to look at are relatively static.  If
not, you could wrap that in a bash function that used $1..$9 , and make it a
lot more dynamic....

--
   Sometimes when I talk to a Windows person about using a Mac,
   I feel like I'm explaining Van Halen to a horse. --Merlin Mann