Linux as a Server for Games

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jul 28 16:20:04 MST 2008

From: <alexanderhenry at cox.net>
> ---- "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote:
>> Am 28. Jul, 2008 schwatzte Patrick C so:
>>> I'm going to be throwing a LAN party celebrating my birthday next
weekend,
>>> and I recently reinstalled the operating system on my old PC to use it as
>>> server for the party.
>> A presentation would be awesome! I'm not a gamer, but would love for us to
>> have more info on game playing using GNU/Linux.
> ASULUG seems to mix gaming and other fun, like custom-built MAME cabinets,
> into their installfests.  I'm a FPS and RTS guy, we have our share of WoW
> and Eve Online players, we discuss things from time to time but never
really
> see things happen at events.  How could we tastefully mix gaming into our
> current curriculum?

Tastefully?  Probably shouldn't do "how to play Postal 2 with Wine" then.
But
there are a lot of people who like games and so forth.  It would be really
neat
to see a game presentation at a meeting, or even an impromptu LAN party at a
Stammtische.  I've been doing too much Guitar Hero 3/Rock Band and too little

traditional gaming lately, though.

I was thinking about making a MAME/snes9x/fceu/gnuboy frontend that could be
totally controlled by a joystick, but then I became gainfully employed again.
It's always something, isn't it?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows