Linux HackFest Planning

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Jul 23 11:32:45 MST 2008

We are planning a PLUG Linux Security Lab - which has been loosely deemed a HackFest after the very successful InstallFests.

The focus will be Linux Security in a lab or practicum format.  This will therefore NOT be a demonstration; our space is limited, so we just want people interested in applying the theorectical concepts of basic Linux systems security.

Our scope will include desktop as well as server exploits and protection.   We will be covering OSI type "bottom up" security and some limited IDS.  Web security or OSI "top down" will not be our focus for labs but will be discussed in passing where appropriate.  We suggest that all indepth web security go to Owasp.org's great group.

This is a loose lab, which means we follow our bliss - siimilar to the InstallFest, we will play as deeply as we can, in non-linear and duplex, simultaneous group conversations while also fielding general questions from four or five teams.  Each person get`s to assist others, build tests, provide suggestions, and meet others from which to learn.  While competitive, the PLUG Fests endeavor to maintain the fun!   If you build systems and tend to silently learn rather than actively verbally compete to troubleshoot, there will still be fun roles for your play at a PLUG HackFest.

We will be using Live CD's for the most part during the labs, so you can be assured that when you bring your equipment, you will not be inhabited in a persistent way, should you want to participate deeply, in any real team encroachments, etc.

We will require that all participants sign a disclaimer at the door, that states that you understand and agree to abide by:

1) Liability - Hold no harm - participate at your own risk.
2) Agree that only equipment clearly marked for exploit will be targeted, professional respect will be maintained at all times.
3) You agree that you will not use anything learned for illegal purposes and understand that these are demonstrations meant for professionals, and high level users for educational purposes only.

Internet ethics and sociology will be noted, as well as information security legal issues, where appropriate, during the lab(s).

UAT will be sponsoring this HackFest in conjunction with their security training, since they send a team to Defcon every year for "capture the flag";  PLUG members are meeting with UAT for lunch next week to hash out more details.

The first HackFest is tentatively scheduled for September.   Should we run into difficulties with these plans, we will find alternate facilities, since the PLUG membership is dedicated to this fun endeavor.

Thanks for Hans for his ongoing assistance with coordinating resources with UAT!

Lisa Kachold
(503)754-4452  || Obnosis.com