Using linux as a server

Nadim Hoque nadimhoque at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 00:27:07 MST 2008

I recently built a server (a q9300 core 2 quad, 8gb of ram, 1 terabyte
of hard drive space) and I was hoping for now to have it as a simple
file server and perhaps other types one day. There are about 25
computers on the network (24 windows 1 mac). Right now I am
comfortable with opensuse 11, but I am willing to change to another
distro (I liked fedora but I don't like selinux part of it) that is
more suitable to a server. Also there is a program that is called
Geosystems and according to the company the program can be run from a
server on different computers. I don't know exactly know how this is
supposed to work, but most likely I need this computer to have WINE
installed to make it work (the company did say some of their clients
use linux). The most important thing though is that it must be easy to
use (very few CLI operations) because we do not have an IT department.
If I do than is there a good step-by step guide on how to set up a
server for files as well as an application and maintenance of the
server. Also, I might need to know how to use a database program (like
filemaker or access) and again it might have to run under WINE or
something. I am for FOSS, but I do need to figure this out or I might
unfortunately have to use Windows Server.

Nadim Hoque