backup software recommendations?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Jul 12 13:24:27 MST 2008

I ended up using DAR for a backup I needed to do to a 500G USB drive.  It took roughly 28 hours (USB isn't a very good filesystem interface, especially for 400G of backup data...), but it worked fairly well.

Below is the command I ran (from /, and after dropping the system into single user mode, very important when backing up the root filesystem...)

dar -y9 -s 4G -D -R / -c "/media/disk/Backup-$(date -I)" -Z "*.gz" -Z "*.bz2" -Z "*.zip" -Z "*.png" -Z "*.jpg" -Z "*.jpeg" -P tmp -P mnt -P dev -P proc -P "media/*" -P var/run -P var/lock -P "lib/modules/2.6.*/volatile" </dev/null 2>&1 1>"/tmp/darbackup$(date -I).out" &