Spy Bill Debate Comes to an End

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 06:12:09 MST 2008

In this case the ACLU may actually help.  They are a bit of a loose cannon from what I have been reading lately.

Here is a bit of a twist.  Something learned about in High School, Ex post facto laws are in violation of the US Constitution.

The ACLU website says "The bill essentially grants absolute retroactive immunity to telecommunication companies that facilitated the president’s warrantless wiretapping program over the last seven years by ensuring the dismissal of court cases pending against those companies.".

I do not think so.  This part of the bill is Ex post facto and a violation of the Constitution.  Now I'm no lawyer....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

At the bottom of the page under United States there is a sentence that states "The current debate over granting telecoms retroactive immunity for their part in warrantless wiretapping is one that some believe does not invoke the ex post facto clause in the U.S. Constitution."

Only the court can say.

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer