Save a document as .doc instead of as odf or pdf

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Jul 5 15:01:02 MST 2008

I agree that Mike should help you with this, as there are many concerns I'm glossing over, but in the interests of anyone else reading who might not have someone to help them readily available, and needs access ASAP, I'll briefly address how to get access to your files from the old account.

The simplest (although not most secure) mechanism for this is to change the group permissions to give your new account read access to the files, and then set up a symbolic link to them.

Here, I assume that your system is, like most newer distributions, set up to place each user in a group with the same name.
I also assume your new account has sudo access, if not, login to the old account to run these commands.

open a terminal and enter the following commands (replace descriptions in <angle brackets> with their value):
To just give your new username access to *read* the old files:
  sudo chgrp -R <new user name> /home/<old user name>/*
  sudo chgrp -R <new user name> /home/<old user name>/.??*
  sudo chmod -R g+r /home/<old user name>/
This will make the files available read-only in your (new) homedir under the directory name old_user_files.

If you want to actually *copy* all of the files to the new user, you could do that this way:
  sudo -u <new user name> mkdir /home/<new user name>/old_user_file_copy
  sudo cp -r /home/<old user name>/ /home/<new user name>/old_user_file_copy/
This will *copy* the files from the old user's directory to the old_user_file_copy subdirectory for the new user, then change ownership to the new user.

==Joseph++

BTW, your bookmarks and other settings are in hidden files in the old user's home directory, Firefox bookmarks, for instance, are in /home/<old user name>/.mozilla/firefox/<some weird junk>.default/bookmarks.html
You can copy that file to the corresponding (the weird name will be different) location in the new user's home directory and your bookmarks will now be available.
CAUTION, copying the file will remove any bookmarks added since switching to the new user, if you want to keep those, then make a backup copy of the new file, open both files in a text editor, and carefully copy/paste the values from old to new.