SMTP auth problem

Mike Bydalek mbydalek at compunetconsulting.com
Sat Jul 5 09:59:28 MST 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 20:30 -0700, Joey Prestia wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> are you sure that you have enabled secure authentication on your client
>>> program?
>>>
>>> can you try another mail program? You could try to authenticate via
>>> command line but that's infinitely trickier to do with ssl.
>>>

>> I have tried with both kmail and thunderbird. My usual settings are tls
>> if available and and smtp auth with username and password I thought at
>> first that this was the problem it was using the old password so I
>> removed the default smtp server settings and removed the passwords. So
>> it would force me to manually enter the password again I did this while
>> on another network and tried to send with no success. As soon as I
>> disconnected from the neighboring lan and connected to the local lan it
>> took and sent but I am unsure if it is using auth it seems like it is
>> only sending because its on my lan how would I verify the authentication
>> process is working at all?
>>
> ----
> I don't use smtp auth but I would expect smtp auth connections to be
> logged in /var/log/maillog and possibly in /var/log/secure

Try running saslauthd in debug mode with something like this:
 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -r -d  (stop the service first though ...)

Look at the way saslauthd is running now to get the proper -a and to see
if -r is there.

Then, run testsaslauthd -u <login> -p <password> to see what the debug
says.  Additionally, try the smtp auth from the client to see what the
debug says.

In the past, all the saslauthd issues I'd had became quite clear when
running with -d.

-Mike