OT: New Law In Texas Requires PI License for Computer Techs

Jason Spatafore jasons at spatafore.net
Fri Jul 4 17:06:32 MST 2008

I really don't see where the law states every computer repair shop
requires a license. This sounds like a very poorly written "news"
story.

The law explicitly states what people the law applies to:

-- Snip --
 Section 1702.102(a), Occupations Code, is   amended to read as follows:
(a)  Unless the person holds a license as a security services
contractor, a person may not:
	(1)  act as an alarm systems company, armored car   company, courier
company, guard company, [or] guard dog company,   locksmith company, _or
private security consultant company_;
-- Snip --

What this tells me is that computer repair shops "cannot act as a
private security consultant company" without the appropriate license to
do so.

So, this is really based off the type of business. If you're a repair
shop, you wouldn't be subject to this law unless part of your business
is "private security consultant company".

Of course, spyware and virus removal may fall under "security
consultant" activities. So, the computer repair shop just needs to
change their approach.

"We can make no recommendations regarding computer security, however,
spyware and viruses are notorious for slowing computer performance. We
are computer performance experts, not computer security experts."

I think it's just that simple. :)