Cisco VPN Client for Linux

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Wed Jul 2 20:39:02 MST 2008

David Huerta wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knew where I could acquire a copy of Cisco
> Systems' VPN Client for Linux, as the Cisco website doesn't seem to
> want to let me have it even after registering with them and going
> here: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/apps/tblbld/tablebuild.pl?topic=270636499

As others have mentioned, you might want to try vpnc.  The big advantage
of vpnc is that you don't have to recompile it every time you update
your kernel.  I use it every day in a roundabout way... specifically,
it's tied into NetworkManager.  It's very slick, very easy, and works
every time.

If you *do* require the Cisco VPN client, though, here's a bit of info.

Cisco restricts distribution of the VPN client to the organization that
buys their VPN server.  That is, you are supposed to get your client
from your sys admins along with the group password and such.  Some
larger groups (like universities) even customize the vpn client with
their logos and specific settings and the like.

This restriction does make it hard to get the latest client if your VPN
admins only support Windows clients.  In that case, you have to find the
latest and greatest yourself.  Google is your friend!

Personally, I've stopped searching around and just go to this site:

http://projects.tuxx-home.at/?id=cisco_vpn_client

This guy uses the Cisco VPN client every day with the latest updated
kernel and he makes sure it compiles and runs via patches that he
creates.  That means that you are pretty much guaranteed to find a
working version from his site.

Note that the x86_64 version is *not* a 64-bit only version as one might
assume.  It's a source package like all the rest.  It just means that it
*can* compile under a 64-bit system.  I found that I had to use it even
with a 32-bit OS with a relatively new kernel.  YMMV.

Kurt