Linux Security Lab?

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 18:03:24 MST 2008

It appears that we have sufficient interest in a Linux Security Lab meeting.

Further discussion involves:

1) General Structure:

This is a lab - this means that it follows a format something similar to the Install Fest.
Free form group interaction, content experts, setups by all, testing by all interested and fun!

It's not going to be a slide demonstration. We are actually going to do good/bad security things with Linux in order to learn.

2) Facilities:

 We need power and network?   White Board would be suite?

Ideas?

2) Security, Disclaimers, etc.

We will be using live distro's, therefore we can be assured of some amount of safety using our Notebooks or other computers.

We might print up a sign that announces this as a PLUG trusted training session, therefore misuse or any aggressive exploits to any but targeted equipment is unethical and will meet with aggressive retaliation.

Anyone  joining the lab can be asked to sign a roster at the door that clearly states that the information provided can and will send the participants to jail, should they attempt to reproduce without signed authorization or contract/employment relationship.

3)  Scope:

Brief overview of OSI Layered "Bottom Up" Security

iptables
snort
nmap
ssh keys/sshd
nessus/nc

Discussion including buffer overflow/ExecShield, binary CRC checks, basic ip spoofing and tunneling.

NOTES:

We can't get into IPv6 GRE multicast tunneling, DNS tunneling or advanced networking, but we will cover some protections that will stop all but the likes of Crispen Cowen.

These concepts will NOT serve the Desktop user and Systems Administrator any if X is left running with a Firefox URI or XSS ssl tunnel exploit (clicking on a link or accepting a PDF) [all we would see in the way of logged packets would be the XSS exploited at google.com or another website triangulated via proxy (the evildoers source address are hidden on the other side of the XSS web site with no way to access their logs)].

A complete "top down" Application web security review can take years [ & study content should change with the advent of PCI compliance (required in 2008 for all companies accepting credit cards) because of the layer 7 Application switch solutions that keep big online shops from being required to do quarterly code reviews)].

We might best refer interest parties for that related discussion and lab to a night at the local OWASP meeting?

 > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Lisa Kachold <l_iesa at yahoo.com>
wrote:
>> Is there any interest in a Security Lab?
>>
>> At freegeek.org, (and various open source shops), we would setup say a
6
>> hour test lab to:
>>
>> 1) Test various security LiveCD's  (Labrat, NST)
>> 2) Setup HoneyPots and IDS monitoring systems.
>> 3) Create attacks using other tools, like Owasp.org's well written
FAQ's and
>> apps or testing Youtube security vid myths.
>>
>> Some of the easiest quick examples would be:
>>
>> a) nmap/nessus, and snort.
>> b) brute force ssh in less than a smoke break.
>>
>> "Harder" (more advanced) labs could include top down OSI
demos like XSS
>> proxy, SQL Injection,  URI and/or all manner bottom up TCP/IP
spoofing,
>> ICMP, dhcp and DNS hacking.
>>
>> We might also setup some quick tunnels running as a completely
believable
>> process name to show what it looks like to be pwn'd?
>>
>> Any interest?
>>
>> (503)754-4452 Blackberry || www.obnosis.com
>> via USB PPP EDVO/CDMA on Dell Latitude PII - Kubuntu 7.10

> powerofprimes at gmail.com
> Carlos Macedo Gomes
> _sic itur ad astra_