Gentoo for Business?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:23:47 MST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 2:14 PM, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
> center.  I find myself having to hobble my own skills and training in
> order to please the various parochial department managers and other
> kinds of 'self-proclaimed geniouses' when working in Phx.  For
> instance encountering someone who insists that a CS degree is
> meaningless but knowledge of 'smart pointers' in C++ is invaluable and
> an objective metric of your total knowledge. -jmz

Interesting.  That is another discussion entirely, but requiring a CS
degree does weed out a lot of people who have no idea about computer
architecture.  This is usually a good thing, because such people
usually build poor software.  However, there are many tech geniuses
that have no formal degrees.  Michal Zalewski is one I can think of
off the top of my head.  Go read his book: Silence on the Wire.  Very
interesting.  Google hired him last year, but he has been hacking
industry code for a long time...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."