services

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Jan 30 13:58:44 MST 2008

From: stu <wien33 at cox.net>
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 11:55 am, Technomage-hawke wrote:
>> you guys should try gentoo sometime. it makes debian look dead easy.

The config file management in Gentoo is pretty nice.  The annoying
thing is setting up the USE flags properly.  Even with ufed, it takes
a while to find all the stuff you need and set it to Y.

> I haven't jumped into the Gentoo pool yet, but I'd like to give it a try
> sometime. I do like the way I can net-install a base Debian system then pick

> and choose whatever else I want.

The thing to do with Gentoo is to read the Gentoo Handbook (how to install
Gentoo) first.  Print out a copy (if you have a printer) or have another
machine available to read the Handbook on while you're installing.  It
takes ... 8 to 9 hours to "emerge kde" on a 2200 MHz Athlon with 1G, so
do that (or emerge gnome, or whatever) overnight.