services

Michael Havens bmike101 at cox.net
Tue Jan 29 07:53:16 MST 2008

how does one turn off unneeded stuff in debian? I found this list which
describes what the services do but it is for redhat and it seems debian
services aren't in /sbin/chkconfig. Google doesn't seem to help so I must
turn to you.

here is that list found at
http://www.michaelminn.com/linux/notebooks/toshiba-m35x.html :

Below is a list of services that were turned on by default that I have turned
off.

    * acpid: unnecessary power management
    * apmd: unnecessary power management
    * autofs: for automount - which I find annoying
    * avahi-daemon: a network service I don't need since I'm not on a network
    * bluetooth: this machine isn't bluetooth enabled
    * cpuspeed: unnecessary cpu throttling?
    * cups: I don't regularly use a printer - leave this if you do
    * cups-config-daemon: (ditto)
    * gpm: some kind of clipboard handler
    * haldaemon: some kind of unnecessary hardware monitor
    * hidd: Bluetooth human interface daemon
    * hplip: Unused Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing service
    * irqbalance: Multiprocessor interrupt balancing - unneeded since this is
a uniprocessor system
    * isdn: ISDN service, which I don't have
    * kudzu: Another annoying hardware monitor for non-power users
    * mdmonitor: RAID support service
    * messagebus: Some kind of application intercommunication service
    * netfs: Network file system mounter - unneeded if you're not on a LAN
    * nfslock: File locking with network file systems
    * portmap: Supports dangerous network RPC calls
    * readahead_early: Program preloader. How do you know what programs I'm
gonna use!?
    * rpcidmapd: More dangerous RPC call support
    * rpcgssd: More dangerous RPC call support
    * rpcsvcgssd: More dangerous RPC call support
    * sendmail: System mail handler - all my mail is handled by an outside
server
    * smartd: Unnecessary Disk status monitor
    * sshd: Permits secure shell login - security risk