Semi OT: MySQL memory probs...

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Mon Jan 28 15:07:11 MST 2008

Quoting Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>:

> ----
> btw...a bit pricey but I just got an e-mail, MySQL database
> administrator class coming to Salt Lake City March 17-21
>
> http://www.mysql.com/training/workshops/mysql_dba.html
>
> and high availability in Phoenix Feb 18-20
>
> http://www.mysql.com/training/courses/mysql_5_ha.html
>
> Craig

I attended the HA class last fall.  Unless you've got a company paying
to send you, I'd say don't bother.  It's way too expensive.

* You'll get a very general introduction to a few ways to do HA for
MySQL.  You'll hear about drbd, but not actually set it up.  (BTW,
this isn't really that hard.)
* You'll spend most of a day setting up MySQL Cluster, which is a
niche product useful in only a handful of circumstances.  Basically,
it's great if you need an extremely available hash table.  If you need
a general purpose DBMS, MySQL Cluster is not a good idea.
* You won't get much of any information on performance tuning.  HA !=
performance.

alex