Another question on Video Editing

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:32:10 MST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 12:17 PM, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:
> One possible problem is that I chose the output file format arbitrarily.
>   I have no idea which output formats are likely to be editable.  On
> video it has the following options: MPEG1, DVD, VCD, SVCD.  On audio

MPEG1 is just a format.  DVD/SVCD/VCD are quality indicators
(resolution/bitrate)...

> there are three options "MPEG Layer 1", "MPEG Layer 2" and AC-3.
> Unfortunately the only one that's not grayed out here is "MPEG Layer 2".
> I suspect AC-3 would be a better sound format, because it gets mentioned

AC3 is probably greyed out because you don't have a license to use it.
 It is generally not free.  MPEG Layer 2 is also know as MP2 (MPEG3
layer 2)...

> a lot on the semi-helpful "how to" files I've read.  Am I right about
> this, do I need to do the sound  as AC-3? Should I choose a different
> video format?  Should I toss the Hauppage in the canal?  :-)

After you capture it, you should consider converting to OGG/Theora
format.  You can do this with the ffmpeg2theora package...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."