Semi-OT: Referral for Linux-friendly accountant

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Tue Jan 22 06:51:02 MST 2008

Hello all:
I've been trying for some time to get rid of a particular Windows legacy
machine, which I keep only for the copy of Quick Books on it. I would
like to switch over to Gnu Cash or some other Linux program, but QB is
the only program my current accountant will deal with. So I need to find
a Linux-friendly accountant, preferably in the Glendale area, but
hopefully no further east than Tempe. I have less than two months until
the corporate tax deadline of 3/15, so I need to take action now.

Secondly, I would like to know if there are any good programs - Linux or
Windoze, free or not - to help me extract my QB information in a
convenient manner. I'm _extremely_ irritated with Intuit, so the last
thing I want to do is buy an update and give them any more money. And
that's what I'd have to do to keep using the program.

/Begin rant
At the moment, I can't even _move_ my ancient copy of QB99 to another
Windows system. I tried installing QB99 on my wife's XP machine, but it
couldn't read my company file. Why not? Because, back in 99 and 2000,
Intuit seduced me into accepting their online updates. Now I discover
that my company data is marked as being a NEWER REVISION than QB99, and
in QuickBooks, NOTHING is backwards compatible. And of course Intuit
doesn't support a 9-year-old program, so I'm stuck. I'm not by any means
an open-source fanatic. But I AM an open-format fanatic. This is _my_
data, I own it. Intuit sucks!
/End rant

Thanks for any advice you folks can give me!
Vaughn

PS If anyone knows of a sneaky way to patch my files so that a virgin
copy of QB99 can read it, that would also be helpful.