Linux web sys admin consulting rates

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 12:43:41 MST 2008

Okay,  Thanks.  This is a very unique situation where a Linux web consultant will have to build the hardware and mirror another server setup.

Thanks.

Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:   Well, I don't know enough about your clients needs to give you a
fully qualified answer, but... I would make sure you are aware of all
commodity solutions available before you make any decisions.  LAMP is
a very common platform and there are very low cost solutions
available.  Most importantly the ASPs typically manage IP security for
you, which can be a major liability for a web site owner.

  You can find pre-packaged servers for just about any distro.

  OTOH, if you absolutely need to go the route you described,
$80-$100/hour is reasonable for an experienced consultant.

  -jmz

On 1/20/08, keith smith  wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I would tend to agree.  This client has specific needs so I will need to
> mirror another server right down to the hardware.  This will require
> building the box and loading and configuring everything exactly as the other
> box, and colo'ing the sever.
>
> Thanks in advance for your response.
>

> Joshua Zeidner  wrote:
> Honestly, for a LAMP stack, managing it yourself rarely makes sense.
> Unless you have some very specific needs, you can get a fully managed
> colo LAMP stack for as little as $10/month. Its hard to justify
> $100/hour consultation rates with products like this available on the
> open market.
>
> -jmz
>

> On 1/20/08, keith smith wrote:
> >

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I putting together a proposal for a colo LAMP server. I'm a programmer not
> > a Linux sys admin so I'm wondering what the going hourly rate would be for
> > decent Linux web sys admin. Probably need to know DNS etc.
> >
> > I've been thinking the going rate might be as high as $150/hr.
> >
> > Is this accurate?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Keith
> >

> > ------------------------