OT: Laptop power connector servicing?

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Sun Jan 20 05:37:22 MST 2008

Alan,

    What brand is the laptop? I have had success in the past fixing both Toshiba and Compaq laptops when the problem is on the bottom surface of the board. What happens is the laptop will charge/run for a bit off wall power then the battery dies. This is caused by the overheating of the surface layer connection. I can attempt to work on it, problem is I can not guarantee success without getting into the laptop first. The risk is the fact that the entire laptop must be disassembled,  thus causing great risk of the laptop rendered useless if unsuccessful. The only way to really know is try. If the board truly needs to be replaced, it will only be determined at time of removal.
    I would gladly take a shot at it, but the client will have to sign a release of liability form. I charge $90/hr but only if successful. If the client decides not to go thru with the job due to cost of MB replacement, then the fee is just $45 for bench test and reassembly. My suggestion to the client would be if the laptop is worth keeping around consider the risk. The data is not an issue as it is safe on the HDD.

Let me know if I may be of service..

Michael

--
Please visit