OT: SAS drives

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Jan 17 17:51:34 MST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 05:31:08PM -0700, Jason Hayes wrote:
> Quick question for the group.
>
> I have a friend that is trying to set up an IBM blade server and is looking
> for SAS drives.
>
> The IBM drives are around $600-ish and HP drives are $3-400. So he is
> wondering if the bladecenter drives are standardized or proprietary.

I can't answer about proprietary, but I'd suspect they are not.

When you get into real server drives there are differences. A 15kRPM
drive will set you back more than a 10kRPM drive. There are other specs
to take into account, like is the drive rated to run 24/7/365 for years
on end? Specs sheets are often available on the web in html or pdf.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/