Daily Bandwidth cycles

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:26:14 MST 2008

There are ways around this...entirely legal and technically within the
letter of your EULA, but Cox would probably be upset if they figure it
out.

Step1 - Capture one of the "optimal" configurations pushed by Cox via TFTP
Step2 - www.tcniso.net
Step3 - Monitor your modem. Whenever Cox pushes a "lesser" config,
simply re-push the optimal config.

I have seen provisioned daytime limits as low as 256kbps up / 1Mbit
down...and I pay for 1Mbit up / 15Mbit down. I would understand
occasional network saturation etc....but they actively limit user
bandwidth (provisioning) during peak hours. This is to guarantee
availability to business users I'm guessing. Rather than add capacity
appropriate to what has been promised via their service agreements,
they rob from Peter to pay Paul. In order to keep yourself from being
Peter, simply use the process outlined above.  (Austin: since you are
experiencing this at night your local segment may be saturated, in
which case you're S.O.L.)

I'd be happy to assist anyone who is in need.

Note: Uncapping your modem is entirely outside the confines of your
EULA and possibly illegal (theft of service). I'm only talking about
capturing and re-pushing one of Cox's own configurations.

- Erich