Beware of Microsoft bearing gifts?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Jan 10 16:15:03 MST 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:45 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>>
>> I think I remember this happening about a year ago with Negroponte
>> claiming MS is working with OLPC and then MS denying it.  I think
>> Negroponte needs to wait for partners to make announcements with him (or
>> evilly before him[1]) so he doesn't keep wearing egg on his face.
> ----
> come on now, think about it...Nicholas Negroponte...who's your bro?

I praise the man and his revolutionary efforts.  I just don't think he
should be speaking for a different entity unless they are standing next
to him at the microphone, so to speak.

On the other hand, I only think this for the sake of appearances.  I
think he runs an amazing project in a far more open fashion than most
people are accustomed to.  Thus, his minor missteps are more visible to
everyone.  I see this as commendable and natural.  However, those not
used to being as open will point a laugh at times.  Unfortunately that
can hurt his cause.

My respect for him is not diminished.  I'm only offering opinionated
feedback, even though he will never see it.

Alan