Fan control in Ubuntu 7.10

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Jan 9 20:59:47 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:40:21PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 20:23 -0700, Rhune Lord wrote:
> > I put a new box together with the following specs:
> >
> > Biostar Mobo with nVidia 7150 chipset
> >   /w Int video (VGA,DVI, & HDMI) on board 512MB
> > Intel Quad Proc Q6600
> > OCZ PC6400 4GB of ram
> > 500 GB HDD
> > DVD burner with lightscribe
> >
> > I am having issues with the noise level f my Coolmaster CPU fan
> > (socket 755) being to loud.  The systems temp never get above 28
> > degree Celsius but man it sound like I am sitting right next an AC
> > unit.
> >
> > Any thoughts "if" I can modify it a little lower, and where I might try?
> ----
> aluminum case?
>
> make sure all the screws are tight, especially the aluminum case.
>
> if it's a bare floor, put a pad or some magazines or something to absorb sound underneath.
>
> if it's on the desk, find somewhere else.
>
> Does the case have noisy fans? perhaps they are plastic ball bearings and could be replaced with fans that have metal ball bearings that are much quieter.
>
> Good luck
>
> Craig

Sometimes ACPI can be tricky. Ubuntu may just crank up the fan speed to
avoid burning things up. It's better than the alternative. If you DO
find a way, pay careful attention to make sure it runs the fan hard when
the CPU gets hot. Right now you have an annoying but safe situation, and
that's better than a pleasant but dangerous one.

There *may* be a BIOS setting to cotrol how the fans are handled. I have
that in my laptop. ymmv, and probably will.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/