OT: open source/ hardware video recorder in NY Times

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:04:44 MST 2008

Its good to see that someone finally published the settings...however
I would still recommend using an OTA HD antenna instead.

A) You don't have to give Cox any additional money on a monthy basis.
(~$40 one time for good antenna)

and more importantly:

B) Cox doesn't have all *3* (Yes, I said T H R E E) PBS channels. PBS
has a new channel that has been broadcasting for a few months called
PBS World, which runs BBC America, many Nova specials, e2 (A show
dedicated to environmentally friendly design), and DNA (Think "Nova"
but limited to human physiology)

Granted,  I pay $15 / year to schedules direct to get my EPG for
mythtv...but that's about it...which is doubly convenient if you
happen to have an FTA satellite rig as well. ;)

Either way...I've decided once and for all to part with my pcHDTV
card...goes to the first caller with $65 (1/2 price).

Cheers.

On Jan 9, 2008 5:52 PM,  <chip33az at netscape.net> wrote:
> Now I'm really licking my chops.  I found a website that lists the HD
> channels in Phoenix if you have basic Cox cable.
>
> http://www.landlpcservices.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=748
>

> Erich Newell wrote:
> > Do you pay the extra dollar or whatever it is to get the basic cable
> > included with your cablemodem, or are you simply attaching your
> > existing connection to a receiver? If you don't have a subscription to
> > the basic cable service you should only be able to see up to channel
> > 22 in the East Valley or 23 if you're lucky and live in the central or
> > west valley. (23 is Discovery channel...which I don't receive) These
> > channels cannot be blocked without affecting the function of the data
> > service.
> >
> > As for me, I've never subscribed to the basic service (even though it
> > only works out to a dollar more) because my work has paid for my cable
> > modem...but if a portion of the bill shows up as "TV service" they
> > won't pay that bit...and since I only watch the OTA HD PBS broadcasts
> > anyhow, I choose to keep the ~$12 difference each month in my wallet.
> > :)
> >
> > I'm almost 100% certain that no HD channels are broadcast in the range
> > available to me...Anyone have different experience? (i.e. no basic
> > subscription, but HD channels still visible)

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes
through life."